Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Internet at the middle of journalist and society

I joined the internet and jouralist work workshop after being nominated by the Chief Editor of Tanzania Broadcasting Corporation (TBC) who is my line manager. After nomination I was very curious to know how the workshop will look like. I began to find ideas about the workshop by reading the invitation letter from MISA Tanzania who organized the workshop, the letter gave me just general idea.

However there were some of the things I noted in the letter such as the theme of the workshop , number of participants from different media and facilitation personel - a journalist from Finland. I looked forward to participate in the workshop despite the limited information on the contents of the workshop since I believed that anything do with the internet should be useful.

I had several expectation from the workshop like meeting experienced facilitator who I assumed that will share his experience and knowledge on the use of internet in journalist work. Yesterday session has proven my curiosity, the introductory part of the training have started to add value to my personal experience and hopeful I want to share more new experience I am receiving here to my work met at TBC.

Yesterday the first day, it was quite good day, the introduction part was fair enough everyone had enough time to practice on internet use though the internet was too slow.

The topic we covered was good one to start with on how journalist can use internet to search for varieties of information such as population, news from different media and etc. We also discussed how the internet is changing peoples life and will continue to change it because of what it provides.

I also think that behaviour changes amongst people’s that have happened due to the availability of internet have direct effect on journalism work, meaning journalist will have to change their reporting technique in order to maintain traditional media use (radio, tv,newspaper,magazine).

No comments: